Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Washington Redskins Name Change

Recently, the NFL team Washington Redskins has come under fire for their controversial name, which is seen as derogatory or offensive by many people. Owner Dan Snyder has dug his heels in and  announced that he would never change the name. While I respect his right to name his team whatever he wants, I do think that that the pro- name change people have a point. The name has been compared  to other racial insults, and is considered offensive by many Native Americans. I personally do not have a problem with the name, but I know a few people who do, and if so many other people have a reasonable problem with it, I think that Snyder should consider changing the name. I view this issue like this: I don't have a problem with people using swear words in public, but I do think that sports teams at least should not be named after them.
Also, the NFL owners are holding a meeting soon to discuss this issue and to decide whether a name change is warranted or not, which is a step in the right direction. I hope that Synder seriously considers changing his team's name.

1 comment:

  1. I also hope Snyder considers changing the name. There is a certain right to name your team whatever you want, but when the name is offensive and degrading to so many people, the imperative nature of kindness and freedom from discrimination trumps a right to name a team. Maybe Snyder needs to examine the history of the treatment of Native Americans or read "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" to fully comprehend the evil implications of the degrading name "redskins". In the end, it is just a name, a name not worth keeping when it keeps alive the iniquity of Native American treatment, something our nation wishes we could bury and forget.

    ReplyDelete